Monday, January 7, 2013

Boulevard The Sixth Glass Quadrupel

Boulevard Sixth Glass Quadrupel. Here are notes from the first time I had this, the Belgian-style Quadrupel in the Smokestack Series, from when it was first released, 750 ml bottles only, and not in Minnesota. (We were getting the regular Boulevard Beers, but Smokestacks didn't get to us initially.) According to my notes, I got it from my friend Brad in Iowa, probably in exchange for the bottle of Surly Darkness 2007 I sent him. Knowing Brad, it was surely only one of many bottles.
Here are notes from January, 2008:


Impenetrable appearance, a hazy burgundy hue, with a slight, yet attractive creamy head.

Enticing aroma....bewitching, sweetness and spice. Dark fruits and funky yeast. Lovely stuff!

Taste: sharp, phenolic, alcoholic, but still beautiful. Cherries, and sherry, a bit of port, but moreover musty yeast at play. Wish it were smoother, and not so brash on the tongue, little quibbel, there, but it is tasty, and reminds of my favorite Belgian quads, for sure.

And they came up with a very unique way to reference the Devil, from, of all places, a Hans Christian Andersen story, that goes on about indulging in alcohol. What's in the "Sixth Glass"? Why, let me tell you...
"In the sixth glass sits the devil himself, he is a little, well-dressed man, most charming and pleasant. He understands everything you say, he even brings a lamp to light the way, not to your home, but his." It goes on and becomes more moralistic, gory, and damning. Sorry, Hans, I've got more living to do, before I get melted, and that includes drinking six glasses sometimes!

Yummy. Alcohol is too prevalent, ...10.5%!...I'd rather feel more flavor, but this is a nice acheivement as it is.

No comments: