Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Thirsty Pagan Sawmill Sipper Barley-wine


Thirsty Pagan Barley-wine, Superior, Wisconsin. This had a different name than merely "barleywine", but I can't for the life of me remember it. ABV unknown. (Edit: I found the name and the ABV: Sawmill Sipper, 10.5 %.)

This was purchased in May, when I visited the brewpub, and the Duluth/Superior area, for the first time, with my friend Ed.

Sat on this for over seven months, hope it's worth the wait. Paid $20 for it. Chose one of these instead of a growler. But the owner of the joint pointed it out to me, so I felt obliged. Kinda.

Very clouded, deep magenta hue, under next to no head to speak of. Oh, well.

Aroma: sweet malt, some caramel and toffee, some dark fruit, molasses, tobacco, plenty of richness here. Nice, fairly typical aromatic notes for a barley-wine.

Taste: Floods the mouth with deep rich maltosity. (A new word I made up.)Caramel malt up the yin/yang, plenty of dark fruits, tickles of treacle, molasses, licorice, just a little hint here and there. Sweetness abound, hops are ne'er to be seen or tasted. I'm putting the alcohol at at least 10%, and I'm starting to feel it. I mean, really feel it. Boom, boom, here it comes. …

Tast-eee stuff, my friends. There isn't much carbonation, but the flourishing flavor makes up for that. Dense and delicious malt. Yum-E. I have to wonder how it was earlier, but imagine it won't be much better later. Could be more refined, more ooh, more mellow.
All in all, a good attempt at a barley-wine, but several shades short of greatness.

For the moment, I forget flaws and enjoy what it is.

No comments: