Monday, January 7, 2013

Boulevard Tank 7 Saison (Smokestack Series)

Much as Summit received greater respect from the beer geek world with the Unchained Series, so, too, did Boulevard rise about their former respectable-but-so-so status when they released the Smokestack Series. I've covered a few of those in the past, but the pursuit of all the new beers has stayed my hand from visiting the Smokestack brews I've already reviewed for inclusion in this blog. There's always some new temptation, keeping me from buying a big, expensive bottle of something I've already had. (Do I sound like a ticker? It's a curse, to be sure.)

So, I was pretty happy to see the Boulevard Smokestack sampler pack, with 4 Smokestack brews, in 12 ounce bottles, plus a glass. (Wish I'd gotten some the last time I tapped one of them at my bar. Oh, well, next time...) You know what's better than a great beer in a big bottle? A great beer in a small bottle! A nice, manageable 12 ounces at a time, a tidy little night-cap, rather than a big, ol' mountain to conquer. (Although I enjoy those immensely, as well...just not every time.)

So, here's the first one, with notes from the first time I tapped a keg, in August of 2009:


Hazy, straw yellow appearance, big, lush bone white cap of foam. Looks great.

Soft, airy aromatics, coriander spice perhaps, ginger, clove, with some citrus zest, as well.

In the mouth, more of the same, brisk, spicy, pulpy fruit, orange, lemon, pomegranate, pineapple. Meatier than most saisons, and big in alcohol, as well, at 8.3%. It catches up with you, but not for a while, meanwhile, as you drink, it's stays zippy and zesty.

A bit of a stretch for a saison, this one, but very flavorful and refreshing. I recommend it, and look forward to enjoying more and more of this one.

No comments: