Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Capital Capsized Imperial IPA


Capital Capsized Imperial IPA. That's a new one for this German-based brewer nestled near the capital of Wisconsin. They've made a single IPA, too, and I'll get to that one later. This one, though, is 22 fluid ounces, and a 9.2% ABV ale.

Clear, deep crimson coloring, Slim, but lasting white head, leaving a little lace.

Aroma: hoppy, but no particular character is coming through, no real, visceral sensation. Nothing from American hops, anyway, nothing particularly West Coast or citrusy, more of an English feel. Bready, malty, a touch herbal. A bit more mellow than we're used to in a double IPA, which is, after all, an American invention, which is why I anticipated Amercan hop flavors.

Taste: Herbal, nutty, butter-y, even, but not in a bad way, just in an English IPA way. I have the feeling that what was done here is an English IPA bumped up to Imperial IPA alcohol levels. This is nothing I've ever encountered before, and actually, nothing I particularly enjoy. There's hops, but they don't stick out terribly much, much more malt, and there's high alcohol, of course, but it's just wrong, in my humble opinion.

I will take a moment to read the label and it's gobbledygook: "Join us on our maiden IPA voyage. SIX UNIQUE HOPS give this beer an assertive bitterness and upfront hop aroma that are balanced by a subtle but noticeable malt sweetness. Put on a life vest…you're about to get CAPSIZED!" IBU 90"

The funny thing is, it's not terribly assertive, and the hop levels are masked by the malt. The sweetness is not subtle at all, in fact, I feel it's rich and chewy. This is brewery known for their bocks and doppelbocks, where maltiness is the order of the day, and it seems like they weren't comfortable straying far from that. Yes, there's hops here (which ones? they won't say.), but the malt is dominant. I feel like I'm drinking a hoppy doppelbock. I'm getting way too much malt for a double IPA. They hops should really stick out, and they are not. It's too sweet, too sugary, nearly buttery, assertively misplaced.

I love the name, I love the the label art, I love the idea that they tried, but feel like it's a failure. The malts are too rich and sweet in this beer and they capsize whatever attempt the hops are trying to make at being "Imperial". Just this guy's opinion.

No comments: