Sunday, April 7, 2013

De Dolle Bos Keun Paasbier

De Dolle Bos Keun Paasbier, 10% ABV, special Belgian Easter brew. Drinking now, looking at notes from my first encounter, back in May of 2004:


"Speciaal Paasbier". Hey, I remember Paas, used to dye Easter eggs with it when I was a kid! And they're making bier out of it now, you say? Really? Okay, whatever!

De Dolle definitely has the most colorful, cartoony beer labels in the world, and this one is a kicker, an instant favorite. A grooved-out, wide-eyed, buck-toothed jackrabbit leans against a tree, hoisting a chalice of ale, all smiles. My, my, rabbits must lead such IN-ter-esting lives! Well, I want to be like that blissful bunny, so let's get some bier in me!

The color is a cloudy, dull orange, with a head as serious as all the other De Dolle samples I've tried: a majestic flowering of snow-white foam, leaving weavings of generous lace.

Aroma is beautiful, soft and spicy, with copious citrus. I almost don't want to drink it, just luxuriate in this mysterious heady aura.

On the palate, a huge charge of hops and yeast, deployed simultaneously, mellowing quickly. Loads of sugar, too. Tons of sweetness that really complements the bitter, citric aspect.

Finish is generous, sweet and very lovely. Body, texture, balance, all were well accounted for, and contributed to a remarkably delicious and satisfying ale.

No comments: