Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Town Hall Surreal Chemisty

Something strange happened the other week, when I sat down to review a new beer from Town Hall out of a growler. Poured out the brew, after misreading the cap on top. What I thought was "Super" actually read "Surr"...so, instead of reviewing an IPA with the new Super Alpha hop, I was actually reviewing a hybrid ale/lager, a la Anchor Steam, or California Common, fashioned after a Czech pilsner.

So, here's what I did: I purged those words of anything relating to an IPA or my struggle to reconcile the description of the IPA with what I actually was tasting, while finishing off the rest of the growler. And let me let you, it was a much better ale/lager hybrid than it was an IPA. And, here come the notes...


Minneapolis Town Hall Surreal Chemistry .

Clear, apricot/amber coloration, slim white head.

Aroma: soft and citrus-y, with fruits aplenty.

Let's taste away! Tiny bursts of hoppy bitterness (or bitter hoppiness) pounce the palate, and buzz away, with all those fruity associations taking over and leading the charge. Medium-bodied, robust and emboldened with juicy fruit. Orange and mango. Bitterness never fades completely. Tasty, tasty stuff, downable and refreshing. I like this quite a bit. It would be better in the summer, though. April 5, and we're still not into spring, yet, for real.

I tried this new thing, that all the kids are doing of taking a photo of the menu instead of copying it down. (Once upon a time, there would be slips of paper with descriptions of the newest beer at MTHB floating about, and I would try to take one home for use in my reviews.) I won't, however, Instagram it, Vine it, or post it on Facebook. Just copy it here: "This unique beer has the malt and hops of a Czech-style Pilsner, but was fermented cool with an ale strain. Crisp, clean, bready, hoppy, and lager-like. 5.8% ABV."

No comments: