Saturday, April 27, 2013

La Trappe Isid'or

La Trappe Isid'or, named for Isidorus, the first brewing monk in the history of the Konigshoeven brewery, was released several years ago (2009, I believe) for the brewery's 125th Anniversary. When it first came out, I went through about three kegs on tap at the Blue Nile, and took notes one night, but somehow lost them. Gone somewhere in the missing spaces in the internet.
I put it on again not too long ago, last year or the year before, and I kept meaning to re-review it, and never got around to it. Well, it's back, and the third time is the charm...I think...we'll see...doing it now, before I go home to take on the oak-aged version.

7.5 % ABV. Belgian-style pale ale, or strong pale ale?

The look: gorgeous burgundy, reddish-brown coloring, opaque, showing clearer at the foot of the glass, underneath a creamy off-white head of foam, a good 1/2 inch, long-lasting, looking great.

The aroma: I'm getting hops first, a particularly floral, herbal, fruity hop, grown at the monastery, called Perle. Apple and apricot with a caramel twist. Malt flavors linger here, too. Utterly pleasant and arrestingly simple in it's complexity.

The taste: Smooth plus rich. Totally even, completely cool, balance incarnate, but a wonderful blend of tingly, tangy hop sensations on the palate, with the herbal, fruity malt flavors. terrific mix. A maltier, bigger Belgian pale, close to a Belgian amber, but really a thing unto itself. This feels, to my memory, a bit different from when it was first released, but I could be completely wrong. Maybe I was expecting something bigger, thicker, boozier, perhaps, and was disappointed.

This review is a good place to include this photo taken by Bob Kreutzer of Hohensteins Distributing, of myself, Linda Haug, and Todd Haug, meeting Father Isaac of the Koningshoeven brewery, while he was on a bit of a tour for the 125th anniversay. The reception was at the Bulldog NE, and I was doing a very rare thing, which was getting up early(-ish) in the morning on a Saturday. I've yet to make it to Belgium or the Netherlands, so this was a rare chance to meet a brewing monk from a trappist monastery, who was able to shake off his vow of silence for this tour.

What this is, is excellent. If you're not chasing after trappist rainbows or Belgian unicorns, just relax and be happy, get lost and ....taste the silence. Yeah....

I like this beer a lot. you should have one.

No comments: