Monday, August 27, 2012

Blue Moon (Belgian-style) White Ale

Notes from October, 2003, back when I had this on tap at the Blue Nile, but drinking from a bottle. I finally brought this back, but only in bottles, because it's the easiest way to satisfy some people. Talking them into another wit or wheat is not always easy.
Here are those notes...


Hazy, pale orangish color...decent white head.

Nose is most impressive, buzzing with citrus, and spice, almost perfumey, a delightful aroma, just right for a witbier.

Served with lemon, in this case, which I had to manually extrude from the pint glass's brim. Would have gone better with the fish dinner this accompanied.

At the fore, really tasty, full with fruit, big blast of hops, but somehow a touch sour, left me puzzled and dissatisfied. Produced a pucker on the palate, a tightness on the tongue.

Flavor sags some in the middle, too. It acts just like a witbier at the beginning, then quits halfway through, and I'm saddened by the paucity of body and texture...doesn't fail all the way, though, there's still some remnants of that spicey, fruity flavor, but they're too, too faint. Little finish, and once done, I'd forgotten what had happpened.

Followed this with a pint of Bell's Oberon, which bore none of those failings.
I can only be glad of the popularity of this particular beer, for at least these folks are trying something different. It's a pity, though, that so many think that they're actually drinking a product of Belgium, and I hope they move on to better beers.
-----------------------------------------------------

It's true, I know of many for whom this was their gateway beer. Has to be good for something, then.

No comments: