Thursday, August 23, 2012

Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout


Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout. 8.1 % ABV. Brewed and bottled by Bear Republic Co., Inc., Healdsburg Cloverdale, CA. 

I put this down last night, but, lo and behold, I had one nine years ago, June of 2003. I like what I wrote then, so here come the notes:

Appearance: black as the darkest night, with a tall, fantastic, booming, cocoay/brown head, leaving chocolatey lace. 

Aroma: creamy, dry, with faraway hints of coffee, becoming more prominent by the second. Another case of an unfolding flavors. 

Smooth first sip, "ah," I'm thinking, "that goes down easy." But, oh, no, don't be fooled, the finish is thick and long, and the effect is powerful! 

Rich, coffeeish, with a full, warm rum/cognac feel. 

Excellent texture, lush, long-lasting, dark and rewarding flavors, full and roasty and delicious. 
More earthy, espresso-like dominate the palate, and more, fruitier flavors show up and intermingle, giving off more and more to appreciate. 
Alcoholic content is also a kicker, and see

ms to get stronger, darker, more wicked as we go. I save a small sample as a pick-me-up in the morning, throughout the day, when the man's getting me down, anytime's the right time.


No comments: