Monday, August 20, 2012

Weyerbacher Blasphemy


Weyerbacher Blasphemy Ale. Weyerbacher Brewing, Easton, PA.

This has been in my fridge so long, I've forgotten what style this beer is, and there's no information on the label whatsoever. None. Except 11.8% ABV. The rest I'll guess on as I drink it. I think it's a bourbon barrel imperial stout. Maybe.

(BeerAdvocate.com has it listed as a Quadrupel.)
(But how does it differ from their Quad simply called Quad? Is this the barrel-aged version of that.)

Looking at it, and getting a whiff of it, though, it's clear that it's a barley-wine, barrel-aged. Fiercely carbonated, rich plummy crimson coloring, small, but lasting off-white head.

Aroma: Deep and vinous. Myriad wine-like flavors play out, intense berries, grapes etc. like a port or a wine, mixed with brandy or cognac.

Taste: Even more intense, and deep, and rich. Now I'm getting it…bourbon-barrel barley-wine. Blithering Idiot mixed with whiskey barrels. The fierceness is now mellowing, it's getting rather cool on the tongue, but the alcohol is taking it's place and rising up, ringing in the brain, quietly now, but getting louder. Rich, complex fruitiness melds with the brash bourbon qualities, making a grand, majestic mix.

This may be more than I can take in one session, but I'm strapped in for the long haul. Or am I? Let's see, and find out how sober I am in the other end.

Flavor continues strong, but doesn't completely overwhelm. It's rich, and complex, and very manageable. The only burden is the ever-increasing alcohol presence.

But, beyond that, this blasphemer is damnably delicious. I'd be best off with a smaller sample maybe, or share with friends, but I had to take this one down by myself. I've got probably eight ounces to go, and it's getting louder in here, boom-boompbbom-boom.

No comments: