Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Nogne-O Two Captains Double IPA


Another Norwegian beer? Why not? And this one, I've never had before...fresh notes!

Nogne-O Two Captains Double IPA. Ale 8.5% Alc/vol.
"Jan Halvorfjeld, winner of Norwegian homebrewing championship 2010 brewed his champion double IPAat Nogne-O. We at Nogne O are of course proud to be with him making this happen. Ingredients: Grimstad water, malted barley, hops and yeast. 100 IBU, brewed and bottle by Nogne O, Grimstad, Norway."

Completely opaque, thoroughly hazy peach and apricot appearance, creamy white heady froth atop.

Aroma: pungent and powerful, a massive mix of the usual piney/citrus notes, but a bit of a muddle, rather indistinct. Not quite what I'm looking for in an IPA. I'd likely some clearly struck tones. This nose is more cacophonous.

Taste: In the mouth, it's a brash splash of hops, with malt firmly included in the mix. Booze rises up quickly, invades the braincase with alarming ease. It's a murky mess that's high on hops and alcohol, but has very little in the way of delicacy or finesse. It's what I'd expect from a homebrew double IPA, but not from a professional brewing concern. Oh, well, there's room for all kinds of beer. This is fine, it's just not refined. I do like yeasty, cloudy, unfiltered beers, and rustic ones, as well, but this one just seems, in light of what really succeeds as a double IPA, unsophisticated.

Although I do have a sneaking suspicion that if this came from Belgium rather than Norway, I'd be more pleased. It's contradictory, I know. If I could fix that I would. Or, …would I?

No comments: