Friday, May 24, 2013

Flat Earth Livid Planet Pale Ale


Flat Earth Brewing Company Livid Planet Pale Ale, A Hoppy American Pale Ale, Brewed and Bottled by Flat Earth Brewing Company, St. Paul, Minnesota.
A somewhat bigger, hoppier  version of the Angry Planet Pale Ale? Obviously.

A bit ago, I picked up a bottle of Angry Planet, thinking I'd do what I do, and use my original review from way back when. I poured the beer, took a pic, drank away, and when I looked at that old review I was disappointed with what I said in 2007 or whenever. Angry Planet was one of the first FE beers, not sure if it was #2, 3, or 4, but it was up there. I reviewed it from tap at another bar (still haven't tapped it at mine, for reasons unknown). Those notes and opinions did not resemble the bottle I had recently. So that's on the docket. Meanwhile, let's take a lot at this guy.

Appearance: clear, bright bronze, head is slim but solid and staying, a creamy-toned off-white hue.

Aroma: herbal and earthy hops, plenty of fruit esters, apple, grape, with much malt.

Taste: MMmm…ahhh. I like this! Plenty of fruit, plenty of bitter, but terrifically malty and smooth. Medium bodied, lightly bitter, juicy, fruity, and just plain delicious. Fantastically downable, a top-notch APA.

Let's read the label, on the other side of the cool illustration by DWITT: "Take our american pale ale The Angry Planet, bombard it with a meteor shower of hops and what do you get? THE LIVID PLANET!
Although Cascade hops remain the star of the brew, this unique blend nicely raises the hop level without being a true IPA. THE LIVID PLANET pairs well with any spicy dish or all by itself on a clear evening while star gazing for the next meteor shower."

American pale, Munich, Crystal and Wheat malts; Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe and Cascade hops, American ale yeast and St. Paul water. O.G 1.06, SRM, 13, IBU 81, Alcohol 6% ABV.

I like this. Tasty ale that drinks like a dream.

No comments: