Wednesday, May 1, 2013

La Trappe Isid'or Oak-aged Trappist Ale


La Trappe Isid'or Oak-aged Trappist Ale. 12.7 % fluid ounces. 7.5% ABV.

The first barrel-aged La Trappe brew was so expensive I steered clear of it. One I tasted it, I regretted that mistake and bought this bottle the very same day, similarly expensive. Sorry, but I forgot how much. Somewhere between $12 and $15. So, here's a regular Belgian-style pale ale from the Netherlands from an oak barrel. Let;s get to it. It's been sitting in my DBF (dedicated beer fridge) for about 3 months, and tonight's the night to tackle it.

Appearance: Deep, dark burgundy coloration, very slim, soon gone head.

Aroma: leaps right out at you, screaming …what? wine? bourbon? cognac? what barrel is involved here. It does not say. And I haven't even brought it up to my nose, I've only sat erect in my chair, with the aroma leaping out from the glass. Let's go in…whiskey? brandy? I just can't nail it. There was definitely something in those barrels, because I'm not just getting oak, plenty of richness, fruit, and booze oozing out of the nose. Grapes, berries, leather, plum, dates…tobacco, brandy, …yes.

Taste: the barrel's work greets the tongue faster than the base ale does. Lots of oak-y, barrel-y, I'm still not sure, but feeling very brandy/cognac-y like goodness. Very deep stuff, and deliriously delicious. The base beer is mild and lovely enough to buoy any barrel-ation. Plenty of dark fruit flavors mash up against plenty of booze . A brilliant blend.

Let's read the label a minute: "La Trappe Isid'or was specially brewed to celebrate the 125th Anniversary of Beerbrewery de Koningshoeven and was named after Brother Isidorus the first brewer of the O.L.V. Koningshoeven Abbey. The first brew of this ceremonial brew was aged in oak barrels. This aging ensures the balanced and rich taste of this unique, exclusive Isid'or Oak Aged."

No comments: