Friday, May 17, 2013

Southern Tier Creme Brulee

Way back in July of 2008, I had the pleasure of hosting the initial release of Southern Tier Brewing's beers at the Blue Nile, with maybe 4 beers on tap (more? can't remember.), and others available for sample in bottles. It was all the big stuff, the Imperials, and such. My review of Creme Brulee vanilla imperial stout was from October, 2008. Could have been one of those sample bottles, or maybe I went out and bought one afterwards? Who knows. Anyway, it's back on tap, along with Mokah, Iniquity, and Back Burner barley-wine, for an American Craft Beer Week, in association with Hohenstein's Distribution. So, I snapped a pic of the Creme Brulee I had after work, and will share with you now the notes from nearly 5 years ago:



Deep brown color, with reddish edges...thinnish, roasted tan head. It's undulating now, actually, not sure why, it's pretty stable sitting on my desk.

And I can smell the vanilla from here at my chair. Let's bring it in...Yup, all vanilla, with cocoa close behind. Sweet and lovely.

Mmm. Smooth, sweet, creamy, fluffy, but yet still solid. Delicious. Yum. Dark and light. Sweet and substance. Rich and airy. Candy, and caramel malt, and ...yumminess.
The ten percent alcohol level boasted on the label is not felt in the slightest.

Why the cows on the label, though? They make cream, maybe, but not vanilla. Whatever.
Good stuff, here. Great dessert brew.

No comments: