Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Dangerous Man Belgian Golden Strong Ale


Dangerous Man Belgian Golden Strong Ale. 10% ABV, Dangerous Man Brewing Company, Minneapolis, MN.

I wanted to get a growler of this at my first visit, back in late January, but they were not offering it in that form. I picked this up recently, and it was the last growler available for the day, although dozens were seen in coolers, assigned for the next four days. An odd, logic-defying policy that I will hold my tongue about for the moment. (Although keen observers may have read a deleted post that went further.)

Clear, golden/amber appearance. Pure white, slim collar of foam.

AromaL malt sweetness, slight citrus notes. Rather cool and mellow, though I'm looking for some bolder aromatics, and not finding enough.

Taste: hop bitterness and malt sweetness greet the palate in tandem, with a welcome dash of Belgian yeast flavor. Lean bodied, light, fine consumability. (Hey, if "drinkability" is a word, I can make up one of my own.) Alcohol emerges in the flavor rather soon, and persists. There's a pleasant tingle on the tongue, and a passionate kiss of hops. Fruity, slightly grainy, and a touch sharply alcoholic.

Any attempt at a Belgian Golden ale comes with many comparisons, and has to be seen against the greats. There's a lot Delirium Tremens in here, and a little bit of Duvel here. This fits the bill fairly well with few complaints.

No comments: