Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Schell's Goosetown Gose-style Ale


Schell's Goosetown, Ale Brewed with Coriander and Salt. August Schell Brewing Company, New Ulm, MN.

I am not the world's authority on the gose style of ale. Here's an easy tutelage upon it. (I know, you could have done this yourself. Okay, I found a better one, check this out. ) I won't correct you if you say it wrong. I probably say it wrong all the time. The name suggests that we should be calling it "goose"…one would think.

Well, let's open up a can and find out what it's all about.

Clear, golden coloring, small, soon-gone head. Despite no foam on top, lots of bubblation coming up from below.

Aroma: a little citric, a little sour, lightly spicy, a bit of hops. Hmmm.

Taste: wet. clean. Light-ish in the body. Definitely refreshing and downable. A judicious amount of spice, and maybe I can taste the salt? Sure, I can.


Before I go further, I want to read the gobbledygook on the can. Time to get out the reading glasses: Schell's Goosetown- a loud and lively gose-style ale with a citrus bite. So, that's on top. What's on the bottom? "In the late 1800's, hearty German immigrants settled in a neighborhood near the Minnesota river in New Ulm, affectionately known as Goosetown, where they raised gaggles of rowdy geese who wandered around wherever their webbed feet pleased." Okay, that's telling me a lot. now I at least know where the name comes from…

So, about the beer. I still don't have a handle on the gose. Tried one from another brewery that tasted more like a geueze. I've tried real German ones, and they're probably closer to this. It doesn't quite give me what I am looking for, but this is a brewery that's always going to try to find a German slant on things, and why not? For a refreshing light ale, there's nothing wrong with it. It's quite tasty, if not too complex, but who cares? It does the trick. Probably won't return to this too often, but it did the trick.

No comments: