Monday, August 24, 2015

Indeed Wooden Soul #1

 notes from 12:40 A.M. Tuesday, July 28.

Indeed Wooden Soul #1.

the last time I was at Indeed Brewing's taproom, and I wanted to take home a growler, it was Wooden Soul #2. I stopped in the other day, a Sunday, and lo and behold #1 was available. $15 for the 750 ml. It's high for what I like to pay for a 750 ml bottle, really high for a growler. But I wanted it, and I bought it, so here I am ready to drink it, and find out all about it. Join me, won't you?

Appearance: hazed and golden, with some flotation devices detected, and a slim white cap atop. Looks fine if funky.

Aroma: fairly screams wildness from afar, but let's go in deep for a real examination. I'm picking up the essence and the oak of a white wine barrel, with the sharpness and strangeness of a wild yeast strain. Feline eliminations. The scent of a barn animal's pajamas. The very aromatics of where the horse hangs his head. And I like it.

Taste: Not much from hops at all, but the yeast twist kicks in right away. I'm unsure what the base beer is here, and I can only guess it began with some Belgian style, which this brewery doesn't do all that much. Just kind of makes some sense, though. Wicked, weird, tart, wild, crazy. Superlatives like that spin out with ease, but a mystery remains. Rich, tasty malt bottom. Tingly yeast flavors continue to delight. It's never too anything, though, thankfully. Not too strange, not too sour, but delivering the right amount of everything.

I can't remember what sets this apart from number 2, just as I currently don't know what #1 really is, either. I'll go to the website and it will all be revealed, I hope. But if this one is the start of their barrel-aging/sour program, they're on the right track.

No comments: