Thursday, August 27, 2015

Indeed Berryswell

Notes from Saturday, August 22, 4:55 A.M. (Yes, this is how late I stay up writing these notes, just for you.)


The sample man came! The sample man came! Hey, everybody, the sample man came!

It's been sixteen months since the last time I bought beers for a bar, but I'm back at it, and the samples are coming thick and fast. Hooray! Samples, samples, rah, rah, rah! Even samples I might have bought myself, beers I may have chosen without even trying it out first. And so we have a mini-growler with no identification, but I've been assured that it's Indeed's newest beer, BerrySwell, a Mosaic hop pale ale with pureed blueberries. There's more information about it, but that's all I remember now. I'll get to the rest later.

5% aBV. 20 IBU.

Clouded, pale reddish coloration, going towards orange, more closer to apricot. Slim, staying whitish head.

Sweet, fruity nose. Moderate alpha acid bitterness rises up. It's a beautiful melange: maramalade, grapefruit, and, yeah, blueberries. Nice.

Fruit is strong in the taste at first, with hop bitterness quickly catching up. Medium-bodied, with a long, bitter finish. Fruitiness continues in the flavor, keeping perfect time with bitterness. Together, it approaches a candy-ish sweetness, with slight appearances by sour.

This is a very likable beer. And I am one who likes it.

The brewery says this: Style: Blueberry Mosaic Pale Ale
Description: Here to help you soak in the dog days of summer, it’s Berryswell Blueberry Mosaic Pale Ale, a sessionable, single-hopped offering with a light crisp malt bill, blueberry puree, and the fruity, tropical, and piney aromas and flavors of Mosaic hops.

And there's more to learn here.

No comments: