Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Lynlake Big Dill JSB (Japanese Special Bitter)

Notes from Tuesday, August 11, 4:04 A.M.:


There's this beer at the LynLake Brewery called Big Dill. They're calling it a JSB, or Japanese Special Bitter, because it uses the Sorachi Ace hop instead of traditional English hops. I liked it so much that I bought a mini-growler, or "roadie", as they call it, but I won't.

Appearance: clear, bronze-toned, with a rich, lush, creamy, off-white head.

Aroma: Oh. That's why they call it "Big Dill." It's Dill-icious, it's Dill-ightful, it's Dill-lovely. Vegetal, herbal, hardly any of the typical hop esters and aromatics. A little briny. And I kind of like it.

Taste: There's a slight bitterness gracing the palate. more of that odd dill flavor, then the stage is set for the malt to shine. Just a little bit of caramel and toffee, a touch of sweetness, and a whole lot of smooth. I've got to say that this is unlike any beer I've ever had. And I kind of dig it.

No comments: