Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Olvalde Farm Rise of the Burghers and the fall of the feudal lords


Notes written August 14, 2015. 2:20 A.M. (why so early?)

Olvalde Farm Rise of the Burghers and the Fall of the Feudal Lords, ale brewed with natural flavors, lightly hopped, unfermented, refermented in the bottle. Olvalde Farm and Brewing Company, Rollingstone, Minnesota.

Appearance: thoroughly hazed, bright golden coloring, large white head that drifts down to nil in no time.

Aroma: Tartness first, wild and crazy, horse blanket on parade. Funky stuff. Imperceptible hops, mild malt.

Taste: Whoa. Crazy, funky, wild, and fresh. Sour, for sure. Fruit lurks below, citrus and stone. There was nothing on the label to prepare me for this wild character, nor did I remember anything I heard or read, and I am liking it. Brisk, refreshing, crisp and delicious. All of a sudden, I'm starting to taste the hops a little, the malt is showing off, but nothing at the expense of the sour. Lemon starts to shine, then along comes a glimpse of pine.

Rise of the Burghers is ridiculously good. I'm practically in love with it. Where have you been all my life, I wonder. And I've still got half of the bottle left to enjoy. It can only get better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've had several of Olvalde Farm's ales/stouts and all have been amazing! I don't believe I've tried their Rise of the Burghers ale yet, but now I'll definitely have to give it a shot... or a glass.