Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Lagunitas Pils Czech Pilsner

Lagunitas Pils. We had this one on tap a few months ago, and all I had to to was drink a pint and snap a pic, and I would have added my old notes back then. Didn't, and the keg drained quickly. Well, another bottle has found it's way to my fridge, and I hate to dis a sample, but that's the way it goes, and after having it again, I have to agree with my opinions from July of 2003:

Appearance: clear, bright golden color, active carbonation, with a thick, fluffy, bone-white head, which softly sizzles down to size.

Nose is dry, wide open and suggestive of absolutely nothing in particular, or at all.

Light and smooth, just right for a lager, but bad for a self-described "Czech-style pilsener." For one thing, very little hops are felt, and additionally, dryness is missing. Instead the flavor is bland, bald, and lagery sweet. I keep waiting for some dry hoppiness to emerge and assert itself through this treacly murk, something that may indicate a true "Czech-style Pilsner" profile, but, alas, it never does.

Again, far too thick and sweet...nice try, but you missed.

Sorry, but it just doesn't work for me.

No comments: