Tuesday, August 28, 2018

New Belgium The Hemperor, aka HPA, Hemp Pale Ale

Now here's a beer a first sampled a few months back, an early taster before the release, and I said to Mr. NB Sales- rep (forgive me if I've forgotten the name), "you know what, let's do this one." And lo and behold, we had a keg on tap of this stank-tacular ale until it all ran out. A fun, little gimmick thing to try, then turn to another beer. And then another Sample Man handed me this bottle, and I said to myself, "whoopee, now I can review it in the Nib!" And away we go....


New Belgium The Hemperor, 7% ABV, 55 IBU, New Belgium Brewing Company, Fort Collins, Colorado. And also North Carolina.

Lightly hazed, dark amber hued, slim white head on top.

In the nose: well, that's where it is, isn't. All that dank, the thoroughly stick-icky. If I were fluent in the pot terminology, it'd be flowing, but I'm not. It reeks of weed.

Now to taste: Starts out sweet, malty, low on the hops. Can you taste the hemp? Not sure if that's a flavor you can feel on the tongue. Definitely some herbal notes on the palate. Tasty enough stuff. Medium bodied, light finish.

The label calls it a "new kind of hoppy beer blending hemp with hops for complete sensory domination." I'm missing the hops here. The sensory illusion of drinking pot, if that's what they're trying to accomplish, is lost on me.

This is one where I can say, "yes, I tried it", and move on to the next, certain I never need to drink it again. But, it ain't bad for what it is.

Get ready: The Hemperor HPA, an exciting new style, will change the way you think about hoppy beers. We found a unique way to recreate the flavors of hemp with a beer that complements the inclusion of hop flavors and hemp hearts (seeds) to deliver something new, delicious and extremely dank.

No comments: