Monday, August 13, 2018

612 The Outfit Oatmeal Porter

612 The Outfit Oatmeal Porter. 6.5% ABV, 22 IBU, 612 Brew, Minneapolis, MN.

612 Brew is a brewery that has only appeared here a few times. I've reviewed one of their cans before, and talked about the taproom once. Never took home a growler. Just never felt compelled. I've been back to the taproom, and liked it a little better that time, but I've been slow to publish those notes. This can arrived thanks to the Sample Man.

Total blackness, slim brown head. Altogether opaque.

In the nose: Nicely roasted malt, cocoa and espresso. Just right.

In the mouth: Sweetness hits first, rich and malty, bittersweet. More coffee and chocolate notes on the palate. Smooth stuff. Full body, but quite drinkable. Further notes of cherry vanilla. Very satisfying. A perfectly competent oatmeal porter that I'm liking quite a bit.

Our friends from the Outfit owe us big time. This English Porter is brewed with oatmeal which contributes to the rich and velvety texture of this winter seasonal beer. Patagonian caramel malts provide a wonderful toasted marshmallow flavor in the malt profile while the Nobel hops provide just the right about of bitterness and balance. So, if you’ve got friends like us, be sure to buy them this beer as Payback… and root for the bad guy.

Hoo boy. I have no idea what most of that means. I don't know who their friends from the Outfit are, but they've got to check their spelling. Unless there's a thing called "Nobel" hops that I've never heard of.

Correction: they've got "Noble" spelled right on the can, just not wherever the copy I swiped from Untappd came from. I still know nothing about the Outfit or the Payback or the friends like them, or rooting for the bad guy. It's okay, though, no big deal. I'll let it slide.

No comments: