Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Junkyard Murky Dimensions Hazy Double IPA

There's a special joy to visiting a local liquor store, hoping to find something new and untried when lo, and behold, there it is, something from Junkyard I've never even heard of. (Although, it's been around for many months. I don't get to the stores that often, due to all the growlers and crowlers I pick up at local breweries.) It's snatched up right off and gone into the cart. And it's time I gave it a good drinking.

Junkyard Murky Dimensions Hazy Double IPA. 8.5% ABV. 57 IBU. New England IPA. Junkyard Brewing, Moorhead, MN.

Yeah, it's murky. Hazed and clouded as all heck. Bright golden hued, despite. Lush, large ivory head above, leaving some lace. Looking great.

In the nose: Big, bright, bold citrus notes popping up in the aromatics. Lemon and orange with a twist of tangerine.

In the mouth: More of the bold citrus fruit flavors, the hop attack, and a strange hit of anise. Honest to gosh black licorice notes popping up on the palate, and I can't imagine why. Okay, it's gone and done, but damn, did I feel it. Now, it's nothing but smooth, yeasty, malty, turning to the dry side, and quite delicious. Lemon, orange, grapefruit on the palate, just enough bitterness, just enough smooth.

This one starts out smooth and friendly, then shows it's teeth, giving off the alcohol strength and biting back. I'm liking that. It's doing it for me.

I can't find much information online, so instead of the usual copy and paste, here's some straight-up word for word from the label: "On a routine patrol of hoppy flavors, he expected clarity, but was shocked by an encounter with...murky dimensions! A big, hazy double IPA with multiple dimensions of juicy flavors."

I love the label illustration, evoking classic comic strip/book/pulp images in the vein of Alex Raymond, Al Williamson, Wally Wood, etc. And the beer is fine. I'm not always down with the murky, the hazy, the NE, but this one is doing it for me, that's for sure. Delightful.

No comments: