Friday, September 6, 2019

Barrel Theory Dorothy Mantooth IPA

Barrel Theory Dorothy Mantooth IPA. IPA W/ Mosaic Hops. (New England -style, of course)
7.2 % ABV.  Barrel Theory Brewing, St. Paul, MN. Packaged 8/27/19. Purchased 9/1.

This beer has been around almost two years, since just after the brewery opened, and I'm finally getting some. Of course, I don't get there very often to pick up crowlers, but that's ...well, actually it is for a lack of trying. But it's not for a lack of thinking about trying. Where does thinking about trying get us, though? Nowhere, naturally. But I did something, I went there, and I got this, and now I will drink it!

Thoroughly hazed, pale golden color, thick and lustrous ivory head, holding infinite court above.

In the nose: All the hoppy delights are here. Citrus aplenty, with bits of berries and stone fruit, as well.

In the mouth: Citrus splash at the start. Big rush of bitterness, then calm and cool. Yeast at play. Medium bodied, fresh and refreshing. Long lasting hop delivery on the palate, keeping a strong residency through the finish. Flavors never quit. Just delicious. Nothing but. Crisp, clean, ending on a dry note. Just about right.

If you follow my writing here, you may have noted a lack of enthusiasm for the ubiquitous New England IPA style. But when it's done this well and this deliciously....what can I do but offer up high praise.

This all-Mosaic IPA is a saint.




No comments: