Sunday, September 22, 2019

Exile Ruthie

Exile Ruthie. Pale Lager.  5.2 % ABV. 18 IBU.
Exile Brewing Company, Des Moines, IA.

Last month, Jason and I took a trip to Des Moines to check out their beer scene. The full report is coming soon, I promise, once more. On the second day, we spent some time at the Iowa State Fair, sampling at the craft beer pavilion. In several spots, there were signs declaring that Exile's Ruthie is the official beer of the fair, though I was never clear on what that meant. Jason had a better peek at the logo of the beer, and wondered out loud, "is that woman pouring beer on her chest?" Having not seen the image yet, a different concept entered my mind. Upon closer examination, I was glad that the image in my imagination did not play out in the illustration.

We remained curious about the meaning of this image, and inquired of the bartender when we visited the brewery later that night. Ruthie is the mother of one of the owners, and this technique of pouring beer onto glasses balanced on here bosom was her trademark. Well, there's no way you can call it sexist, if that was her thing. I also learned that this is their bestseller and is one of the most popular craft beers in Iowa, so I was certain to pick up a bottle on the way out of town.

The research I've done into this also cleared up some questions I had about Exile Brewing. It is a brewpub that ventured into bottling and distribution, rather than the taproom/restaurant of a production brewery. Because you can do that in Iowa. And we have so many stupid, useless laws in Minnesota. So very many.

Anyway, on to the beer:

Clear, bright golden color, slim white ring of foam.

In the nose: cereal, grains, minor hops. Slight sweetness.

In the mouth: Subtle and smooth. Quite balanced. Just malty enough, just hoppy enough. Crisp and clean. Expertly drinkable. Good lager and you can certainly toss it back with aplomb. I thought it was a golden ale going in and was surprised to see that it's actually a lager. I would drink this again.

The world’s best balanced beer is brewed with Munich and Pilsner malt and complimented with German Perle hops. A tribute to a real Des Moines original and the finest woman to ever serve beer in our capital city!


Photo of the real Ruthie I yanked off the internet.

No comments: