Sunday, September 22, 2019

Barrel Theory Shooter McGavin Double IPA with Citra hops

Barrel Theory Shooter McGavin Double IPA with Citra hops.
8.2 % ABV.
Barrel Theory Brewing, St. Paul, MN.

Looking at Untappd, I've checked into this beer once before, on August 27 of 2017. If memory serves correctly, that was my first visit to Barrel Theory. Dave and I arrived just before they were closing on a Sunday afternoon. They were operating with shorter hours back then, in order to keep supplied with beer. That's how it goes when you start out popular and the buzz always builds. We were able to talk the staff into serving us a quick one. I went with the Double IPA because that's what I do, but there were no growlers or crowlers available at the time, and now, two years later, I finally have one to try out for the Nib. Let's get into it:

Ever-so hazy, 'cause that's how it has to be from now on until...? Will this craze ever end? Murky gold/orange....slim white head.

In the nose: Leafy green hop notes, citrus aplenty, yeast all over the place. No NE it's cray-cray. All kinds of Lupulin powder going wild. Nice.

In the mouth: Boom! Big fat citrus hop flavor bursts on the palate, and a trickle of bitterness. Sweetness swims in. Medium body, moderate malt, nothing but smooth. Bitter, sweet, bitter, sweet, back and forth tango, ending decidedly dry. And actually lip-smackingly delicious. I can't help but enjoy this.

I like all the parts of this that are like a double IPA, and I can't stand the parts that are like an NE IPA. Damn, why can't the breweries I like just make a regular damned DIPA, without the haze...bros?

Also, I'm liking this more as we get in....getting stronger, more bitter, and that's the way I like it.

No comments: