Sunday, September 15, 2019

Sisyphus Painkiller IPA

Sisyphus Painkiller IPA.
6.7 % ABV. 40 IBU.
Sisyphus Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

This is listed as a "milkshake IPA" on Untappd, though the description does not denote the usage of the requisite lactose or vanilla. Maybe that's why I like it when I had it at the taproom last week? I try to avoid the milkshakes if I can, but keep trying them anyway, again and again.

In truth, Sisyphus doesn't call it a "milkshake" at all, it seems someone else gave it that appellation. What we have is a fruited NE IPA. Also, not my jam, as the kids say these days.

It's hazy, of course, golden tinted, small white head on top.

In the nose: Bountiful fruit sweet tropical notes, big pineapple, orange,  and mango, with underlying hop flavors. Coconut pops out. Sweetness abounds.

In the mouth: Coconut pops even harder on the palate. More sweet, more fruit, with absolutely no hop bitterness of any kind. Once again I scream into the void: stop calling them IPAs! Call them something else!

Smooth, clean malt, crisp and refreshing, light bodied. Easy drinking. Little bit of bitterness at the back, but overwhelmingly sweet and pleasant.

But not an IPA.

I'll keep giving my two cents, until they add up to a quarter. And I won't stop then, either.

A twist on the drink that's a twist on the Pina Colada. This beer features a mix of pineapple, orange juice, and coconut in a New England IPA. Numb the pain of the approaching winter with a last taste of tropical summer.

No comments: