Monday, February 24, 2020

Inbound Pastry Ale: Wildberry Sour

Once upon a time, I was at a certain taproom and they a beer available in crowlers that I chose not to purchase. It was a pastry lager. Yes, a pastry lager. Why was it a pastry lager? Because it was a lager brewed with marshmallows. I chose not to buy and review this beer because it doesn't sound very good at all and because I don't want to think about pastry lagers.

A few weeks back, I bought a can of Fair State's Heckin' Chonker Pastry Stout, and I expressed my opinion about this whole pastry business. You may have read it here.

And now, I have a can of something that Inbound calls a Pastry Ale. It was a gift and I have no choice  but to review it. It is my way. I considered skipping the usage of this odious phrase after having covered it already. Why not pretend it doesn't exist? Imagine a world where a fruited sour ale isn't being compared to pastry for some reason. Is anyone else doing this, or only Inbound? I swear I've never heard of it outside of this brewery. Most breweries call their fruited sours "fruited sours."

Pastry Ale and Pastry Lager and Fuckin' Pastry Stout aren't things, people. Stop it, you're just messing with people's minds, and it's not very funny. And it's making me very sad. I weep for the beer world, people. Sigh...

Now, to drink:

Inbound Pastry Ale: Wildberry Sour
5.5 % ABV. 20 IBU.
Inbound BrewCo, Minneapolis, MN.

Fully opaque, all clouded-up, bold crimson coloring, slim, pinkish head.

In the nose: Very berry, with a pinch of tart. Not a trace of sweetness about.

In the mouth: More sour, more berry. Nicely rounded. Medium bodied, easy drinking. Sour is mellow enough, not to strong, not too tart, and the berries are doing their thing. Rasp, blue, and black all blended up and sent into the sour.

Fruited Goses are all the rage (if they aren't Fruited Berliner Weisses). This one ain't bad. But this "pastry" shit has got to stop.

Our tart Gose brewed with a whole bunch of raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. It’s a sweet blend in a sour ale and everything you didn’t know you needed in a beer.

No comments: