Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Three Floyds Robert the Bruce Scottish Ale

Three Floyds Robert the Bruce ScottishAle.
6.5 % ABV. 25 IBU.
Three Floyds Brewing, Munster, IN.

The stalwart Scottish ale from Three Floyds has returned to the Twin Cities market for the first time in nearly 20 years. And I bought a 6-pack and wondered if I'd taken notes on it before that I'd want to revisit for this blog. Sure, I did way back in December of 2002, over 17 years ago, and it was the usual model of brevity of the time. You see, I started with minimalism, broadened to a wordier style, and have returned to terse and concise language. Actually, a bit of both isn't bad.

So, I'm going to open this 2020 bottle and merge new notes with old, just for kicks:

Generous, creamy head, Dark brown in color.... fairly opaque.

In the nose: aroma includes toffee, vanilla, soft caramel notes....mostly malty, hops are missing. Just shy of sweet.

In the mouth: Solid malt here, but very, very hoppy. Sweet, mild, but still a stout and hearty ale, very enjoyable. One of my favorite Scottish Ales. Hail Robert the Bruce!
....Hops are here for balance, keeping the sweetness in check. Vanilla, caramel, toffee, a touch of cocoa, fairly sweet, ending nice and dry. Flat-out deliciousness. Classic. I'm happy to return to this one, after such a long time away.

A full-bodied Scottish-style Ale with a well-rounded malty profile and roasted biscuit-like notes.

No comments: