Sunday, February 9, 2020

Klockow Lion's Courage Double India Pale Ale

Klockow Lion's Courage Double India Pale Ale. Batch #137.
8.3 % ABV, Klockow Brewing, Grand Rapids, MN.

Here's my first beer from Klockow Brewing Company of Grand Rapids, MN, a crowler bought at 1010 Washington Liquors. And it's a double IPA, because that's what I like to drink. Let's hope it's a good one.

It's hazy, dark amber/golden hued, with a significant amount of floating particulates, making me wonder about it's age. (From the can: Canned 10/30/19. Over 3 months old at this time.) Large helping of froth atop.

In the nose: Hoppy and sweet. Some malt notes, a touch of caramel, too.

In the mouth: Big sweetness grips the palate first, mixed with the bitter. Not sure if it's all malt sweetness, though. End nice and dry, with with a residual sweetness. There's something slightly off about this. It's perfectly acceptable and fine, but far from ideal.

There's nothing wrong with this interpretation of the style. It's been done before, and I've tried several of them. They don't all have to be the extra-dry, bitter West Coast-style, and they certainly don't have to be DDH hazies. I don't not like this beer, but neither do I enjoy it. Well, ...I enjoy it enough that I'm drinking it. I'm a fairly forgiving sort.

No comments: