Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Dave's BrewFarm Mr. Fahrenheit

I don't listen to the rock band Queen much, and don't pay close attention to their lyrics. I did when I researched the name of this beer. More on that later.

It's been eight months since my last BrewFarm review. Forgive me father, for I have sinned. (Actually, I did visit the BrewFarm in December, but there were no growlers at all to take home, and I don't write reviews from the bar.)

I made the pilgrimage to Wilson, Wisconsin the other day, thanks to friends Renee and Jeff, my first stop of the new year, and not, I hope, the last. There were three beers available for me to take home and review, but one of them had appeared here in Ye Olde Nib over five years ago. So, two new BrewFarm reviews are coming your way, starting with Mr. Fahrenheit, which, as with so many BrewFarm creations, has no fixed style. Do any of them? It is the BrewFarm way.

Oddly enough, it's listed on Untappd as "Pilsner-other". But, I didn't add it, so I can't complain.
Just for kicks, Untappd says that there are 235 BrewFarm beers. This is the 83rd I have added to the Nib. (Wrong. I reviewed Hibiscus Lager twice, and one tag was not a review.)
Untappd also says I have checked in there 156 times. It will take more time than I wish to invest currently to figure out how many different beers that is. (Doesn't mean I won't some night when I'm bored.)
I have had more beers there than I've reviewed and I've had more than I've checked in to. Over on BeerAdvocate.com, there are only 91 beers listed for the BrewFarm, and I have reviewed 65 of them. More work to do. Divining exactly how many of them I have personally added to their database would also take more time than I wish to devote myself to. There are many, though.

Mr. Fahrenheit. 5.6 % ABV. Dave's BrewFarm, Wilson, WI.

Dark brown coloration, nearly opaque, richly cocoa-toned head.

In the nose: Mostly malty, lightly hopped, slightly spicy. Touch of caramel.

In the mouth: Now it's a mainly malty thing, with many touches of caramel. Bit of wheat character graces the palate, too, though (I peeked ahead) it is from yeast, not malt. Just the right amount of hops for balance. Little touches of spice on the tongue, from hops or yeast, nothing extra or external. Especially smooth, this one, and tasty, too.

It's a damned good beer that fits no style, though it may flirt with some at it's edges. Due to the yeast involved, it may favor a wizen style, at most, but the other ingredients don't help push it in that direction. It is one more example, I think, of Farmer Dave continuing to try every combination of ingredients in every variation possible, until he runs out of deliciousness. Which I wish would never happen.

There is but one song to hear while drinking this beer:


"....and that's why they call me Mr. Fahrenheit."
Hopped with Millennium and Azacca hops, Pils, Caramel 120 and Extra Special malts, and fermented with classic Weiss yeast."

Having a Good Time is a fitting slogan for my many memories of the BrewFarm. Where else have I enjoyed so many nights of singing along to songs with the owner and the brewer, beers in hand?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The reason Freddie Mercury could sing so well is he had FOURTH MOLARS, a very rare anomaly. In other words he had 36 instead of 32 permanent teeth. If you have all 32 teeth you have your 3rd molars " wisdom teeth" as non dentists call them. Having the extra space improved his oral acoustics. It also caused his front teeth to protrude which he chose not to have corrected because he knew. Combine that with a whole lot of talent and you have a star.

Richard S. retired dentist

Al McCarty said...

Thank you, Richard!