Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Surly Double Furious

 Surly Double Furious. Furious Whiskey Barrel aged IPA. Furious. Times. Two.

13.6% ABV. Surly Brewing, Minneapolis & Brooklyn Center, MN.


And now that this beer is out, I wish that I had saved some of that Furious whiskey. There are still bottles around, but I’m not dropping sixty bucks on a bottle of whiskey until someone drops a lot of cash on me.

Dark crimson color, near burgundy, clear, with a dark reddish head.

In the nose: rich, malty, sweet, almost barley-wine-ish. Plenty to unpack, many treasures to unfold. 

In the mouth: from the first sip, I have to restrain myself from unleashing superlatives. Whiskey barrel flavors spill out: vanilla, cherry, chocolate, caramel, oak, tobacco, and somehow you can still sense the IPA underneath. Huge, this, meant to be slowly savored before slipping into slumber. A better nightcap from a hophead I couldn’t think of. 

This is a serious concoction. The remainder of my cans will be stashed away for sharing. 

Everything you like about Furious, but twice as much of it. Robust malt, citrusy hops, and aging in Foundry Distilling Furious Whiskey barrels amplify the sweetness and strength of the original. Notes of zesty orange, caramel, and vanilla from the barrel add even more character and depth of flavor to an anniversary worth celebrating.



No comments: