Thursday, August 11, 2022

Steel Toe Finally Hazy IPA

Steel Toe Finally Hazy IPA. W/ Citra, Strata, Nelson Saigon + Nelson Sauvin CGX Hops. A long-awaited collaboration. 
7.2 % ABV, 40 IBU, Steel Toe Brewing, St. Louis Park, MN.

I’ve made no secret of my affection for Steel Toe Brewing of St. Louis Park, MN. I also like Barrel Theory Brewing of St. Paul, MN. What I’m not so crazy about is catering to the trends of the beer geek crowd above all else, which has been BT’s stock in trade, since they opened five years ago. Neglecting fads and staying true to classic styles has been ST’s modus operandi for just about 11 years now. And now we have this.

Finally was released at both breweries last week at their respective taprooms. They say “finally we collaborated with Barrel Theory.” One could also easily say, as many have, “finally Steel Toe brewed a hazy.” I would have been happy if it had never happened. And I am presented with a dilemma. I like to try everything they make. Should I go to the tap room and pay $7 for a pint I may not enjoy? Or plunk down $17 for a 6-pack (Sticker Fight is $14, and delivers every time, Size 7 is $12, ditto.) when I may not feel like drinking all six? Oh, I would, but I might not enjoy them. 

My boss had a solution. He would buy a 6-pack, we would sample a can, and the rest would go home with us all. Let me tell you, free is the best. So, let’s drink it.

Highly clouded, dull yellow color, slim white head. 

In the nose: yeasty fuzz. Extra citrus. Orange and lemon, with a dose of grapefruit. Bursting with hoppy flavors. 

In the mouth: soft, mild, wet, squishy, citrusy, hoppy, with absolutely no bitterness whatsoever. Medium bodied, languid finish. In my opinion, this is exactly a Barrel Theory beer, and not at all a Steel Toe. It tastes like every single BlackStack beer. It’s pretty much dull as dishwater. Not a pinch of bitterness to be found.

They blew through kegs last week and cans are sold out. I hope we never see it again. Long live Size 7.

The Steel Toe crew finally teamed up with Barrel Theory Beer Company to brew our first hazy IPA Brewed with Pilsner and 2-Row malt, as well as a healthy amount of oats and wheat. We whirlpooled it with some Citra and then gave it a big ol’ dry hop consisting of Citra, Strata, Nelson Sauvin, and Nelson Sauvin CGX. Notes of peach, melon, white grape, and passion fruit. 


No comments: