Ol’ George #95: Tragic Dragon
Notes:
1. When Balonious Funk first appeared in #19, back in March of last year, he was already wearing his Wilting Turnip hat. In #20, he told George about WT and its amazing IPAs. And then his head exploded when George forced him to consider that IPAs may not be the center of everyone’s universe. 75 episodes later, I felt it was time for a second favorite brewery and an expansion in his wardrobe.
2. The phrase “tragic dragon” came after a long struggle. Once I settled on it, I had to do my due diligence and found no breweries or beers with that name. Googling revealed nothing but vaqueness. On Spotify, three songs used the phrase, one rock instrumental and two spoofs, playing on the classic folk song “Puff the Magic Dragon.” Get it, magic, tragic, they rhyme. I felt secure that I wasn’t infringing on anyone’s IP.
2. Why does Balonious visit Kelly’s? Does he find enough new beers to satisfy his ticking urges? Or, is it just the comraderie he finds hanging out with George? And what could he have done to get 86’d from Wilting Turnip? A loyal regular such he should deserve some leeway now and then. Must have been particularly egregrious. I have so many questions, and only I can provide the answers. But we may never know, for this is Ol’ George at Kelly’s, not Balonious Funk at Wilting Turnip.
3. This strip was conceived because I tired of always drawing BF’s Wilting Turnip hat, and came up with a logo that’s incredibly hard to draw so small. Maybe it’ll just say TD next we see him?

No comments:
Post a Comment