Monday, July 23, 2012

All Pints North!

Here's John Moore of Barley John's Brewpub, with his tie-dyed crew. His cardamom porter was one of the most unique brews at the fest. And I had more than a few occasions to talk to the ever-entertaining Mr. Moore.
Before the throngs are unleashed, Jason from Steel Toe (too many Jasons!) chats up members of Team Finnegans at the Surly booth.
Off to the right of the bandstand, a flank of food trucks and various vendors to keep our stomachs full.
While I'm stationed at the Harriet booth, I turned around to see my friends  Jason, Kat, Scott, and Angie in front of the Castle Danger booth. I didn't visit that booth, because I'd tried everything at the brewery the day before. That's what I told Jason, who informed me that they did have London Calling IPA, which wasn't at the brewery. And now, I don't remember if I tried it or not. That's what happens at these things.
Here's a peek at the grounds with the band stage in the background, and Lake Superior behind it. There were three bands, Hobo Nephews of Uncle Frank, Farewell Milwaukee, and Black Eyed Snakes, which was a surprise, since from what I know of the music of Low, I never would have guessed that Alan Sparhawk can rock.
Mere minutes after the crowd was let into the festival, this is the line for Surly. It's always like this, every festival, people have got to get their Surly!
My bosses for the day, Tanya and Jason Sowards of Harriet Brewing. Their attendance was a late decision, and some of the brewery staff and equipment were busy at the Beer Dabbler fest happening in St. Paul at the same time. We were pouring West Side on tap, and Wodan Weizen and Pils from growlers. I was filling in when giving them breaks, so when I was alone I got to field questions like: "Is the brewery named after your grandmother?"
Back in May, I visited Duluth for the first time in my life, as you'd know if you read the most recent Fitger's reviews back then. I took pictures along the way for a photo essay, but never posted them. Something went wrong, no need to explain.

I was up there again this weekend, the first full weekend I've taken off of work in quite some time, for the latest Minnesota Craft Brewers Guild festival, All Pints North at Bayfront Festival Park right on the shores of Lake Superior, in Duluth. My transportation and lodging were provided by my friends Jason and Angie, and the entrance fee was taken care of when I agreed to help Jason and Tanya Sowards of Harriet Brewing. So, there was a little bit of work involved, but a whole lot of fun.

Here's new Surly brewer Derek Almendinger at left, and delivery man Chad at right, as they prepare for the throngs who are yet to be unleashed on the festival grounds. Surly brought a number of interesting items, including a preview of Syx, their strongest beer yet, at 14 + %, a cask of Hell with peppers called Fiery Hell, Bandwagon, the IPA brewed just for the Twins Stadium, and one I missed, Bourbon Barrel Aged Schadenfreude.
The first day found us visiting Thirsty Pagan Brewing in Superior, Wisconsin, then going further north to the extremely small Castle Danger Brewing at Castle Danger Resorts, in the hamlet called Castle Danger, MN. There were four beers to choose from, and I decided to take home a growler of their stout, review coming soon.

That evening was an epic tasting among friends, hosted by Dean and Rita, where we didn't even get to half the bottles on hand before we'd all had our fill. That's where I pulled out the Westvleteren 12 whose review was posted shortly after. I closed Friday night out with a stop at Fitger's to see the brewers party wind down, saw some old friends, met some new ones.

For the event on Saturday, I really wanted to do a photo essay, as I've done before with other events. But, even though I had kept it charged all night, the battery power on my iPod kept failing and it kept turning off, until the power died completely. Add to that, I kept forgetting to snap photos of people, booths, beers, that really would have been important parts to the story.

Behold, the artwork for the poster, although a slightly different version. It was not cold at all on July 21,  it was around 95 degrees and many wished there was more shade available in the park. I was under a tent for much of it, so I didn't complain.
Here's a glimpse of the Borealis booth. For such a small upstart brewery, they went all out with the stained glass logo. I talked to brewer Ken for some time, and went back for a t-shirt and glass. In addition to the Speckled Ghost and Mon Cherries, which I'd had in bottles before, they also brought La Lune Belgian Golden Ale, and Raisin Liason Saison. I believe one of these won for Best Beer in a time, and I believe the won the booth display award. I look forward to finding bottles of those beers soon.
Eager fest-goers entering the park, with downtown Duluth in the background. Unlike other guild events that have been going on for many years, this one did not sell out, but give it a chance, I'm sure Duluthians will change on and become just as crazed about beer fests as we Twin Citians.
Enough apologies, though, I'm going to put up the photos, write the captions and give a glimpse of what we hope will be many more of the same. This might be an annual Duluth excursion for me. Maybe I'll maintain a record as spotless as Autumn Brew Review, which I've attended every year since 2002.

Someone read this post and mentioned that there were no pictures of me in this gallery. Well, I don't often take pictures of me. I should fix that. But, this was taken by Tanya, and I swiped it from the Harriet facebook page where she posted it. So, there you go, enjoy me in all my glory.
After 7pm, and the end of the festival, then came the after-parties. Ah, what fun, at Tycoon's, the Ratskeller, and beyond...

No comments: