Monday, July 23, 2012

Thirsty Pagan Brewing India Pagan Ale


As you may have noticed, I try to have the correct and proper branded glassware, whenever possible, to pose with the bottle, can, or growler, whatever the case may be. In this picture, for this beer, something is very wrong. I do have the Thirsty Pagan pint glass, but why a Surly growler? Because Wisconsin, that's why.

In WI, one need not provide a branded growler from the brewery for them to fill for you, any ol' thing will do. In Minnesota, you need to return a Town Hall growler to Town Hall (or Harriet, Fulton, Rock Bottom, Great Waters, etcetera), or buy a new one. Not in Wisconsin, I think they can fill anything, even a Coke bottle.

I could have bought a new TPB growler, but I don't really need to build my collection any larger, especially when I have at least two dozen empties from other breweries at home. Why spend the five dollars, why add more to my already large collection? It just seemed cool to re-use an old Surly growler, which hasn't had any beer in it in three and a half years.

So, let's crack it open and see what's inside. India Pagan Ale, that's what. From Thirsty Pagan Brewing, Superior, Wisconsin, purchased at my second visit this past Friday, July, 20.

Deep amber/bronze coloration, slim, dotted white head.

Aroma: this is the good stuff, right from the get-go. Blasts from pine and citrus. Lovely fragrant floral-ity, intense bitter and bracing, just what I love.

Taste: Just as intense, and then some. Bitterness reigns, with caramel malt and more rising up in prominence after the first hoppy blasts. Great balance, well-porportioned, with hops always in charge and way ahead. Terrific tango of hops and malt, step, step, back, dip, and, hey go and spin this time.

This reminds me more than a little of one of my all-time favorites, Town Hall's Masala Mama IPA. High praise, from me. Tasty as can be, and a fine drinker, too.

No comments: