Sunday, July 29, 2012

Castle Danger George Hunter Stout


Castle Danger George Hunter Stout. 8% ABV. If I read the promo materials correctly, Mr. Hunter was a brewer relation to the owners/brewers of Castle Danger. More into if I find it.

Bought nine days ago, at Castle Danger Brewery, in Castle Danger Resorts, Castle Danger, Minnesota. I hope this held up. Of course it did. But, man, I've been slow this week. On the other hand, it's hard to sit down with a brew after work when you get home at 4 am.

We rolled in sometime after, I don't know, 5-ish, and there was a steady stream of samplers and growlers buyers at this tiny, tiny brewery in a shack that you have to really hunt for to find. My second attempt at visiting, for the first, back in May, we were about 4 1/2 hours early. Right on time this time, and I picked a brew I didn't think I'd find on another visit.

Although I haven't taken the opportunity to re-review
George Hunter after that initial taste 7 years ago, I
thought I'd share how it looks in 2019.
It's a dark one, with a tight, slimmed cocoa-brown ring of foam. Just about fully black, mostly opaque.

Aroma: molasses, licorice, maple, some cocoa and cream. Very nice.

Taste: Full flavor, rich mouthfeel, deep and resonant. All that in the nose return to the mouth, with more cocoa and some coffee, just a hint. Richly textured, while still remarkably consumable. Even, I say, while the alcohol rises just a little. This rests within the category of American Stout, I'd say, without needing to go over into Imperial or Foreign Export, despite the higher alcohol.

Needless to say, I like this quite a bit, and will finish this growler with relish. And mayo.

No comments: