Friday, July 13, 2012

Unibroue La Terrible

Terrible. (Ter-e-blay.) Freshly tapped, my first time for this Belgian-style strong (10.5 % ABV) dark ale, from Chambly, Quebec's Unibroue.
And while I drink this glass, I look back at  notes from my first bottle, back in November, 2003. Here they are...



Appearance: pours out plummish, but when I look at the results, it's an unmitigated, solid black, fully opaque, with a finely fizzy, buzzingly carbonated, toasty-tan head.

Aroma: sadly, I mostly get a cola-ish impression, something I like to avoid in beer, but also with dark fruits, and a bittersweet coffee-ish impression.

Taste: heavy, dark, and quickly weighing in with the alcohol component. A well-inegrated collection of flavors, for none truly stands out over any other, all blending terribly well....spicy, sparkly, dark, fruity, roasty, toasty, ...well-rounded, but extra-abominable in it's overwhelming flavor and alcohol.

This is one rich, delicious, dark, and rewarding ale. I can't quite place it above Maudite or Trois Pistoles, who have their own unique charms, which could never be overshadowed or eclipsed by this ebony delight, but this particular Belgian-style black ale is in a class of it's own. Wow! "Terrible" in only the best way. Yum, yum, yum, yum!
--------------------------

Almost nine years later, I think I like it even better now. It's exquisite.

No comments: