Friday, July 6, 2012

Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA

A pic of a bottle from 2018 now replaces the
inferior one I posted in 2012, as you read my
notes from then, and 2003.
Bear Republic Racer 5 India Pale Ale, independent since 1995. 7.5% ABV, 75 IBU. Bear Republic Brewing Company, Healdsburg, CA.

Clear, golden / amber hue, under a lasting white head.

Aroma: soft citrus notes, mildly hoppy, fresh and zesty.

Taste: wet and fruity, light to medium bodied, soft hoppy finish. Nice caramel malt background, support the citric hop presence above. Feels like a maltier version of Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Very consumable IPA, this one, milder bitterness, smooth malt flavor.

I'm getting to the end of a 12 pack of this, taking my notes before I drink them all. (Although, I feel sure I've had it once before. Have to check next time I go online…tomorrow.) It's fine, better than average, but not spectacular.

Let's take a moment to read what they say about themselves. "Racer 5 is an aggressive styled India Pale Ale. Handmade from a brewery whose motto is " Bigger is Better." This golden, well hopped. bottle conditioned ale demands your attention. Try the next generation of I.P.A. Racer 5…Go…Go…
Brewmaster Notes: Keep cold, respect life, don't D + D, real ale is alive, yeast is good, serve at 45- 50 F.

This is nice, but not Big, nor Better. I hate to say it, because it's so popular and well-regarded, but I'm simply not impressed. Maybe it needs to be fresher. From California to Wisconsin, from Wisconsin to my place.

-=======

So, guess what, I have had this before, in May of 2003, and did I ever like it, then. In fact, I changed some exclamation points to periods, just to curb the enthusiasm. This was from a trade, but perhaps a fresher bottle than I ones I've been drinking?


Appearance: hazy orange, ripe peach, with a good, white, and actively bubbly head of foam atop. Aroma: instantly sharp and spicy, with spikey hits of citric fruit, grapefruit, peach, apricot, plus pine, and flowers, and more. Intense!
Hop attack begins in earnest on first sip and never wants to quit! A torrent, no, a blizzard, no an ever-loving bitter monsoon. A definite threat to the senses.
Tingly, spicy, and ever-so-tasty!
This would go great with food, I think, but I also think that it would go great with anything, anytime.
Body feels thin, though, compared to the massive hop-heaviness on the palate.
More malt, please, sir!
There are many layering effects, though, and many rewards for this souped-up ale.

No comments: