Thursday, January 30, 2014

Robinson's Old Tom Chocolate


Robinson's Chocolate Old Tom. Now, I hope that this isn't like Old Tom Ginger, by which I mean to say that I hope it's not Old Tom mixed with chocolate milk. Or something. "Malt beverage with chocolate added. 6.0 % Alcohol by volume." Made with the World's Best Ale." Okay, not promising. But, away we go…

Dark brown, with reddish highlights, under a light brown head.

Aroma: Malt and cocoa. Not much else. Huh.

Taste: Hmmm. Well. Yeah, chocolate. And beer. But not the best I expect when I see the words "Old Tom". What did they do to it? Is it watered down, when they add the chocolate? There's really no resemblance to the old ale it's named after. So sad. Sigh…

What's the label say? Blah, blah, blah…"In this ale, we have blended OLD TOM with delicious chocolate, specially made by the renowned chocolatier Simon Dunn. The result is a deliciously indulgent drink--warming and velvety smooth. If you like this ale, you should try OLD TOM Ginger."

Well, I didn't and I won't, because I don't. Or something. Yeah, it's "smooth" and "velvety", …sure…sigh…except that it's nothing like Old Tom. And even if it weren't called Old Tom, I'd be disappointed, still. Blah. Phooey. Me no like.


Lesson learned. Kind of. What did I spend on this, $5 or something? I want it back.

No comments: