Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo

Now, here's a beer I really like. Don't care for the price-point, though, at $12 a bottle. For the flavor, it just might be worth it. I had my first one in November of 2010, just a week or so before I started posting reviews here. I had my second one a few days ago, and present those notes from '10 to you now:


Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo, Ale aged in oak ale casks, matured for over a year.

Gimme some sting.

In a nice Imperial pint glass, ruddy brown appearance, crimson highlights...thick, rich, creamy beige head, lace leaving...ni-i-ice.

Aroma: nuts and caramel, big into the malt, deep and rich, dark fruit and leather, burnished wood, brandy...gets bigger and deeper the more we sniff in. This is a barleywine in wolf's clothing, as it takes time to emerge, and reveal it's full flowering.

Taste: all that and more, rich roasted malt, full fruity flavoring,raisins, dates ,fig, cherries, port wine, deep and dark, intense alcohol levels (9% is a bit high for the Samuel Smith's brand) Feels like an English barleywine in almost every way. Full-bodied, full-flavored, and incredibly rich, long lasting finish, unending taste.
Dangittigang, so rich, sweet, deep, and delicious. Too, too tasty.

Damn! I have been waiting for a Samuel Smith's beer like this for, since forever...just wish it weren't so terribly expensive.

But, still, it's ridiculously tasty. Way too much goodness. Mmmm, give me more, give me more, give me more.

No comments: