Thursday, October 23, 2014

Bauhaus Brew Labs Sky-Five Midwest Coast IPA


Bauhaus BrewLabs Sky-Five! Mid-West Coast Style-IPA. 6.7% ABV. 70 IBU. 12 fl. oz. Proudly brewed by Bauahus Brew Labs in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

It's the year for beer in Minneapolis. I was looking back, and it occurred to me that three years ago, we had four breweries in the city, Town Hall, Herkimer, Rock Bottom, and Harriet. Two years ago, it was eight, adding Fulton, Boom Island, Northbound and Indeed. Just a few months ago, we had fourteen, with the addition of Dangerous Man, Northgate, Free House, Day Block, 612, and Sociable Cider Werks. At that point, I made my attempt to visit, and drink at, as many of them as I could by bike in one day, if you recall that post. I did it then because I knew such a feat would be impossible soon. Quickly came Sisyphus, then Bauhaus, then Fair State. LynLake opened this week, and in November we'll see the opening of EastLake Craft Brewery, and then the new location of the Surly Brewery. Twenty-one breweries in the City of Lakes. Amazing. How fast  and far we've come along!

So now we come to Bauhaus BrewLabs, whose cans have recently found their way into local stores. I stopped by the brewery and taproom for the first time last week, and wondered why I hadn't seen their cans anywhere yet. Lo and behold, today, boom, there they were and I chose from among them all their IPA, (who'd have thunk it, hey?) Let's go ahead and have a Bauhaus BrewLabs Sky-Five! already.

Bauhaus Brew Labs Sky-Five! Midwest Coast IPA. 6.7% ABV. 70 IBU. 12 fl. oz. can.

Appearance: pours a hazy, dull orange coloration, under a lush, bone-white head, leaving lace, looking fine.

Aroma: Bold, bright citrus and pine notes, some tropical tones, too. None too bitter, but altogether pleasant.

Taste: Big bite from the hops at first sip. Hops pounce on the palate, then recede just a bit, letting lush malt take command and hold ground. Nice balance here, with a pungent punch from the hops. Bitter smack continues with each new approach to the lips. Every new drink begs another.

At the taproom, each of their four main beers are identified and described by two words in short and pithy fashion, and in this case they are: "Dank, Refreshing." Although I have issues with the over-use of the vague non-word "dank", it certainly is refreshing. I can have a few of these without getting the least bit bored.

I like this one, and I can see myself choosing a pint of it when I see it out and about. And now I shall steel myself for some over-the-top gobbledygook on the can label:
"A high-five just won't cut it when this ambrosial concoction of hop goodness hits your lips. Hell, even a cartwheel wouldn't be enough. Generous late hop additions provide loads of hop flavor, with just enough hop bitterness to ignite your senses. Earthy notes of citrus, passionfruit and spice are supported by a unique combination of German and English malts, building a full-flavored, yet balanced IPA. Sky-Five!"

There are mysteries yet unexplained by that hyperbole, such as what is meant by "Midwest coast" and what's up with the ---are they umlauts?--over the o. How will we ever find the answer?

No comments: