Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Northgate Pumpion Spiced Ale


Bombers. Sometimes they're just what you want, one big bottle to share, or to last through the night. That's fine when they're inexpensive, say, $5 or less, or when they're special, or rare, or imported from small Belgian artisanal breweries. When they're $8 or more from a local brewery, I find myself thinking, "that ought to be $9 for a six pack of 12-ouncers that will last me a few days, even a week."

I've been seeing a lot of local, or semi-local (Duluth is local, right?) bombers for $12, $14 and higher. Often, they are special, they are rare(-ish), and they are sometimes worth it. I just wish I could afford more than one of them. Maybe I just need to start making more money and stop worrying about this stuff. Wish I could justify those "spendy" beers (question: has anyone heard someone not born and bred here use this odd phrase?), but very often I look at a $20 bottle of Pentagram, then see a $9 4-pack of Sierra Nevada Narwhal, and my decision is made. (Notice I haven't said anything about what justifies $20 for a bottle of Darkness, or how anyone who paid so much is implicit in that price point being justified by the seller. Noticed that I haven't and let's leave it at that.)

So, I am doing my best to keep on top of local beers, and even though this bomber of Northgate Pumpion (the Champion of Pumpkins?) is $8 for a one-and-done-er, I snatched it up. Had some a few weeks ago at Autumn Brew Review, but I can't do actual reviews of beers sampled there. It's called a "Spiced Ale", it's 6% ABV, 38 IBU. Lots of ingredients listed in tiny print that is hard to read. Maybe I'll try to do that later, for now I'll open the beer.

Appearance: hazy, darkish amber-y hue, looking very pumpkinny, with a beige head, clinging on top.

Aroma: Cinnamon and nutmeg greet the nose, allspice, too. Pumpkin spices are in the lead, with lush malt behind.

Taste: Starting out hot and spicy, pumpkin pie spices staying on top and tingling the palate. Below is mostly malt. Stays wam, sweet and spicy. Minor hops, if at all. Very mellow on the tongue. Feels like an English brown ale underneath all the spice. We're getting the feeling of the pumpkin pie in a glass, without the meat of the gourd inside.

Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt. CaraMunich malt. White Wheat. UK First Gold Hops.
American Ale yeast. Spices.

It's a tasty one, and I'm digging it. One of the better pumpkin ales I've had recently. Drinkable, not too strong…which is why it be better suited in a six-pack of 12 ouncers. Just my opinion.

No comments: