Thursday, October 2, 2014

Fargo Brewing Sod Buster Porter


I'm fairly certain that in my quest to try beers from every state, that I've had something from North Dakota at some time. But, I certainly haven't had any lately. Well, now we have some available here, and let's try one out, won't we?

Fargo Brewing Company, Established 2010,  Sod-buster Porter, brewed and canned by Fargo Brewing Company, Fargo, north Dakota. 6.1% Alcohol by Volume.

Appearance: thoroughly opaque, dark brown brown color, slim head, disappears with a quickness, turning still.

Aroma: roasted malt greets the nose first, cola and nuts, with cocoa coming through. Doing alright so far.

Taste: Hop bitterness jumps on the palate, sticks around for a spell. English hops, I'm guessing . Sweet malt joins the party, kept just short of cloying by hops. Medium body. Chocolatey notes ring out high here, with traces of anise and molasses. Tasty stuff, I'll give it a recommendation.

I'd like to know more, so I'll turn to the can's label. But, I'll guess first: Sod-Buster, because busting sod is what one does in ND, and because porter = brown =earth. That's my guess. Here's what they say: "Sodbuster Porter is a beautifully balanced, robust porter that pours black with a thick tan head. It's dominated by deep, roast flavors and faint hints of smoke while being rich and full on the palate. This porter is the perfect companion to cold, North Dakota winters! Malts: 2 Row Chocolate, Bonlander Munich, Medium Crystal, Midnight Wheat, NW Pale Ale, Pale Chocolate. Hops: Golding. 29 IBU. 6.1% ABV."

No comments: