Friday, October 31, 2014

Avery duganA Double India Pale Ale

Avery's back! Avery's back! It's been two long years since they left, but at last, Avery Brewing Company has returned to the Minnesota market. I decided to celebrate with a bomber of duganA Double IPA, a beer I first had on tap at the Blue Nile when it was first released in December, 2009. Those old notes commence now:


Lightly hazed, brilliant amber/bronze cast, slim off-white head.

Vibrant aromatics, blistering pine, lively citrus notes, lemon and orange, ...everything you want in an IPA .

All that and more in the mouth, with a blazing path blown across the palate. Medium to full body, with a plump hoppy juiciness, accompanied by potent hop bitterness. Gets more intense, and more pleasurable, for this hop-head, the further we go in the glass.

Chinook, Centennial, & columbus hop, bright and citrus-y, plentiful bitterness, 2-row barley, dark aromatic, caramel malt provides a sturdy base. Zesty stuff, custom made for a hop addict like me. I don't think I'd agree with Adam A. about it's sessionability (8.5%, really), in fact, I'd really enjoy this at about 2% less alcohol.

Thoroughly enjoyable IPA. "Dank, brutally iber, resinous" is right. If they could do this in 6-packs of 12 ounce bottles, I'd be even happier.


No comments: