Sunday, October 5, 2014

Indeed Double Day Tripper


Once again, I face the collector's conundrum. I am about to drink an Indeed bomber (damn, but I wish they weren't always 13, 14 dollars!) that ought to be in a snifter, a tulip, a chalice, like all strong, double pale ales/IPAs. And yet all that I have with the Indeed logo is a shaker pint. Do they make such glasses with the Indeed branding? I should surely want one if they did, but wait, how many do I have, how many do I need? Ah, this quandary perplexes me so!

I know, I know, I've gone down this road before here, but it is a vexation that visits me often. So, I'll let it pass, and pour this into an Indeed pint glass, silently wishing for something else. Let it go, Al, let it go…

This is a trippy illustration on the silkscreened label. Twice as trippy as the regular Day Tripper. Shows to go ya.

Appearance: clouded, bright golden/amber look, off-white head, lacy.

Aroma: deep, rich and fruity, a complex bouquet. sweetness and bitter mingle together. Aromatics started small and roll out big.

Taste: Over the lips and on the tongue, big, beefy, bombastic. Fat and chewy. I have a feeling that this is a double pale ale in the same way that Flying Dog's Double Dog is, in that everything is doubled up, malts and hops. Extra malt, extra hops, thick and boozy. Hangs hard on the palate and lays long in the throat. There's still some of the brightness of a hoppy and drinkable pale ale, but it's stuffed and clogged with much, too much malt. Compared to a pale ale, that is….when set against an end result that is halfway between imperial IPA and barley-wine, it fits right in.

I feel like reading the label gobbledygook. "there are only 24 hours in a day. We do our best to make the most of them, but find ourselves wanting more. While we can't change the Earth's rotation, we can brew a bigger beer. We present Double Day Tripper, a dank, dry-hopped 90 IBU Double Pale Ale with intense tropical citrus and floral notes. This is our flagship Day Tripper's feistier big brother. The day isn't over friends--get out there and double it!" Interesting that they chose the "double the day" aspect, rather than double the trip. Could've worked that way, too.
Alc. 8% by Vol. 90 IBU. Brewed and bottled by Indeed Brewing Company, Minneapolis, MN.

This is going to be used appropriately tonight, as a night cap. Anything after this would be wasted.

No comments: