Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Summit Union Series: Southern Cape Sparkling Ale


Summit Union Series Southern Cape Sparkling Ale.

I'm a bit late with this one. It came out earlier this summer, and I enjoyed many pints of it while it was on tap at Northbound. I thought I'd review it  from a pint there, but the opportunity never arose. Never found the time to properly sit down with a glass by myself, and the next thing you knew, the keg was done and that was it. Meanwhile, I never saw it on sale. Just wasn't looking at the right time. Lo and behold, there it was on sale the other day at Elevated. Good thing, I couldn't bear the notion of a Summit beer being undocumented here. Just doesn't make sense. Which reminds me that I've got to pick up the new Schell's Noble Star, and I'm way behind on Bent Paddle, and I've got to make it back
to Steel Toe soon, and there are cans of Bauhaus to check out, and there's more Blacklist out there, and I still haven't made a visit to Tin Whiskers in St. Paul, or Urban Growler, and on the subject of growlers,  why don't I pick up a growler from Dangerous Man?, and…and…and…(sigh)…it just never ends. But, I can't stop trying…

(And this is just the local scene I'm talking about!)

Anyway, on with the beer…

Appearance: highly hazed, bright golden hue, slim white head, short but lasting. Very inviting.

Aroma: soft and subtle, but enticing. Notes of tropical fruit, some citrus, light spices. Beautifully delicate, hoppy nose.

Taste: Hops hit harder once the meet the tongue. Nice bitter bite, with notes of pineapple, grapefruit, and pepper. Nice lemony squirt in the flavor. Hop notes last long through consumption. Malt body is on the light side, and it's an easy-drinking affair, all the way.

This one is name after an Australian style that's a bit deceiving and inevitably caused some consumer confusion. What does "Sparkling Ale" mean, does it really "sparkle", is it effervescent like champagne, etc., etc?? No, that's just the poetic appellation they applied in Adelaide in the 1800's due to it's brightness. "Southern Cape" refers to the origins of the ingredients: Gairdiner Pale Malt from Australia, Sebastian Caramel Malt from Chile, Waimea hops from New Zealand, Southern Passion hops from South Africa, all from the bottom of the world. 4,4% Alc. by Vol., 45 IBUs.

I like this one. It doesn't fit the current season, but that's my fault entirely, of course. Strike while it's hot, they say. My lesson learned.

No comments: