Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Ommegang Game of Thrones Valar Morghulis Dubbel Ale


Ommegang Game of Thrones Valar Morghulis Dubbel Ale. Brewery Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY. 8% ALC./VOL.

I've never seen an episode of Game of Thrones, nor read a single sentence of the novels. I did see the South Park spoof, though. So, it's a show about wieners? And dragons that are coming? And something that happens in Winter? Okay, maybe when I'm caught up with Ray Donovan I'll get to it, and I've got some Boardwalk Empire episodes to get to…then, I will, I promise to get to the wieners that everyone's talking about.

But, I don't need the wieners to enjoy the beer, so let's get to it…

Appearance: dark reddish-brown, mahogany, under a light tan head.

Aroma: bold fruitiness in the nose, dark fruits, cherries, raisins, dates & plums, with an oaky edge. Slight sourness & funkiness. Terrifically complex. Brandy-like.

Taste: Starts out sweet and fruity, with a funky twist. It's totally a plum bomb, I'd say, if I said things like that. Sweet maltiness and the Belgian yeast gives it a wine-y character. I could go for a drier dubbel than this, but that doesn't stop me from digging it. But, just a little, not a ton.

Let's read that label: "Ommegang ales are incomparable, yielding unique flavors and aromas. Inspired by deep insight in to Belgian brewing, and infused with Ommegang's creative upstate NY spirit, each ale offers perfect balance and pure drinking pleasure." There's more on the label that goes into the meaning of the name and the blah-blah-blah about the show, and I just don't care about that.

No comments: