Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Bent Brewstillery Moar Historical India Pale Ale


Well, what do you know. more cans! Or, should I say, Moar cans. This is a beer that was, I believe, previously only in bombers, at a price I didn't want to spend for a beer I didn't know if I'd like. I can justify dropping $2.09 for a single can. That I can do.

This one is called a Historical India Pale Ale, a designation I didn't see on that bomber label. I thought it was a Scotch Ale, explaining the fellow in the illustration. Brewed and bottled by Bent Brewstillery, Roseville, MN. Alc: 4.7% ABV, IBU: 47.

appearance: clear and golden hued, long lasting, lace-leaving white head. Nice.

Aroma: Hoppy nose, floral and spicy. Some mild fruity esters, too.

Taste: Lots of citrus zest exploding on the palate from first sip. Nicely spicy, warming the palate, the citrus notes rising and expanding, bitterness flowing and growing. Lean, crisp and clean, light bodied, with never-ending and much-appreciated hop presence.

Hey, there's gobbledygook, let's read some! "Edinburgh, 1866. Bleak Sooty. Dreary. Hoppy? This bright wee Scottish IPA was crafted to be drunk in quantity. Traditional malts meet citrus and spice with a ripping hop heavy finish."

So, it's a Scottish Ale recipe with an inordinate amount of American hops. Better than another "session IPA", I guess. But, I still don't see how that qualifies as a "Historical IPA." Maybe someone knows. Maybe I'll find out. But, as for the beer, it's a good one, and guess what? You can drink it.

No comments: